Sunday, September 2, 2012

Out of the Journal Week 5

Hello there. I am really enjoying this challenge, but am finding it hard to post because I want to go back in and tweak my canvases. (for any other geeks out there, I am starting to sympathize with George Lucas a wee bit) But, if I do that, I will never post anything, so here goes.

This week, my daughter wanted to paint my gessoed canvas, so I thought 'why not, I'm just going to paint over it'.  Here's how it came out... if you look in the top right you can (barely) make out a butterfly shape flying towards the square whitish area.

 
 
Here's a closer look....still a bit murky....
 
 
 
 
I wanted to build a collage around the butterfly to get rid of the sea of purple and then pretty much leave it as is. However, the more paper I added, the more the poor butterfly was pushed to the background, so I tore up some of the Tim Holtz craft resist paper that I was using into the same shapes as the original rather difficult to see image and collaged them on also. Here's a close up of the butterfly as it looks now.
 
 
See? There's the butterfly, and the window is exactly the same as originally painted by my daughter -just added a glaze and outlined it with a bit of marker. Here's the whole canvas.
 
 
Like I said, I'll probably fool with it and add some paint here and there, but for now, its done. Please head on over to Dina's blog and check out everybody else's work!
Also, I want to thank Studio L3 for hosting the Compendium of Curiosities challenge. Otherwise, I would have forgotten I had these awesome papers and would have missed out on some serious fun. 





3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed seeing the evolution of this. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're feeling better too! We're closing up the lake house today but as the weather is overcast and cool, I'm not as sad as I thought I'd be. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's especially lovely having your daughter contribute to this piece. It turned out beautifully and I like to think the butterfly is a metaphor of one's soul going towards the light (window). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so rich and fabulous... I'm loving that butterfly most of all... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by ...please feel free to say hi!