Thursday, November 8, 2012

Calendar Journal Page- Masking Tutorial

I really did have so much fun making this calendar journal page. I played with masking fluid- i took a watercoloring class many years ago, and just loved  working with this stuff. (It's kind of pricey, and I used half the bottle doing this page, but I read that you can use plain ol' rubber cement instead- have to give it a try.

Ok, so I opened up the last page in my handmade journal and painted the whole thing with watered down acrylic paint. After I did that, I painted on random sized circles with the masking fluid. Here's the best I could do photo wise to try and capture the process- the shiny parts are where the masking fluid has been applied.







Now, I pulled out my handy-dandy gear stencil and started stenciling on a coordinating color paint, and then pulled out my homemade spray ink and continued spray randomly all over the page.


 So far I have this:


 Hmmm.... needs MORE! I stenciled through sequin waste with a contrasting color and added some stamping with purple Stazon ink.


And now its time to peel! , with my favorite lovely assistant, my little girl. Whee!


I did a little reverse masking, since I thought the inside of the circles needed some loving...

(It was hard to catch the action- again, the shiny parts are where the masking fluid is...)


 Of course, you already have seen the results if you read the original calendar journal post but here's a little close up :


I'm already eyeing up a canvas I did a few weeks ago and want to change. Rubber cement, here I come!


2 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW. I love this technique!. Masking fluid then more stamps & stencil. Fabulous layering of the same color family :). Totally inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I haven't tried that and now I want to. Love that funky calendar page!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by ...please feel free to say hi!